What Hand Divine? is a sonic journey through the arc of what Western Christendom calls the Incarnation Cycle, encompassing the seasons of Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany. This disc combines some of The Compline Choir’s best-loved seasonal music, like O come, O come, Emmanuel, and O day of peace that dimly shines, with music newly composed, like Blessed be the Lord God and What Hand Divine? by Seattle-based composer Erin Aas. The disc also features new recordings of The Dawning and Jubilemus omnes—stunning music for five celli and men’s choir—composed by the choir’s founder and beloved first director, Peter R. Hallock (1924—2014). We wish to dedicate this recording to Peter’s memory.
Access lyrics and notes on the music here.
- Producer: Robin Ethridge Pentland
- Audio Engineer: Bill Levey / VIA Audio Seattle, Washington
- Recorded in June 2015 at Saint Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral, Seattle, Washington
- Label: Compline Choir Recordings; manufactured by DiscMakers, Inc.
- Release date: 1 November 2015