The mission of the Compline Choir is to:
- Perform and record liturgical and religious music for men’s voices for the edification and enjoyment of listeners
- Promote and perpetuate ancient, traditional, and contemporary musical forms of worship
- Minister to the spiritual needs of the community
Our 2016-2018 Strategic Plan will realize that mission in the coming years as we:
I. Nurture the Compline Legacy by:
- Ensuring the office is sung to a high performance standard through encouraging and expecting consistent discipline and increased professionalism in rehearsals; offering courses in music fundamentals and small group voice classes, and holding regular sectionals; creating an online portal for members to see, hear, explore, and practice upcoming music.
- Renewing members’ musical skills and knowledge through an annual off-site choir retreat and providing regular opportunities for refreshment and new learning.
- Offering small group activities, events, and gatherings at regular intervals that build relationships, friendships, and camaraderie among members.
- Celebrating members’ choir anniversary dates and continuing to provide time in rehearsal “for the good of the order”.
- Securing funds for and procuring new vestments.
In future years, we might have a composition contest, commission works from locally- or nationally-known composers, and undertake an international tour to or residency at English cathedrals.
II. Develop, support, and sustain the community we serve by:
- Articulating our relationships with the Hallock Institute, Saint Mark’s Cathedral, and Diocese of Olympia; amending our Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws with stated goals of negating conflicts of interest, cementing our 60-year history of collaboration with the cathedral, and ending our “extra-canonical” status.
- Assisting the cathedral in its “Living Stones” capital campaign by attempting to raise $150,000 toward the purchase of the half-length Compline corner window through measured, careful gift requests of alumni, friends, customers, fans, and attendees of Compline.
- Providing avenues whereby those assembled or listening online can share needs, concerns, and prayer requests; regularly offering prayers for those assembled or listening online; and, providing access points so those assembled or listening online can opt to become known by the choir and/or cathedral.
- Publishing seasonal Compline service booklets incorporating only the music and texts needed by the choir.
- Refreshing and updating member video interviews and the Compline introductory video on our website; regularly updating the narthex monitor Compline feed
- Exploring collaborative, creative ventures with Saint Mark’s Cathedral and other non-profit organizations whose missions and purposes dovetail with our own
In future years, we might offer a short-term residency for male Senior Choristers on recommendation of cathedral staff and offer our name and assistance to the Hallock Institute in raising funds.
III. Celebrate the Compline Legacy by:
- In 2016, offering a 60th anniversary weekend celebration which allows us to reconnect and cultivate relationships with as many alumni as possible; mark our milestone anniversary in worship at the cathedral on Sunday morning and night; offer a panel discussion on the Compline legacy and share hopes and a shared future vision for Compline; and, make known giving opportunities to our alumni and friends.
- In 2017 and beyond, offering annual Alumni + Compline services which allows us to reconnect and cultivate relationships with as many alumni as possible and make known giving opportunities to them.
- Promoting our music by selling recordings and books after services through development of a sustainable sales plan, creation of a member staffing rota, and providing sales/promotional training to members.
- Recording a disc of new or previously recorded music reflecting the breadth and depth of music for Lent, Holy Week, and Easter.
- Continuing support of Peterson’s Prayer as Night Falls: Experiencing Compline when possible.
- Editing and publication of Peter Hallock’s The Compline Psalter, vol. 1.
In future years, we might develop a Compline mobile app and offer regional Compline services.
Adopted unanimously as a working Mission and 2016-2018 Strategic Plan by the Compline Choir board of directors on April 17, 2016.